John Work House & Mill Site

Posted on Apr 21, 2014 in Affiliations | Comments Off on John Work House & Mill Site

The John Work House and Mill Site outside Charlestown is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. John Work built the home in 1809 and the mill between 1816 and 1818. An innovative feature of the gristmill is a tunnel constructed at a bend in Fourteenmile Creek to create an improved mill race. The mill burned in 1827 and the land was sold to the local Boy Scout council, which maintains a Scout camp on the property to this day. The Work house is being leased and restored by Taylor Rose Historical Outfitters. The home is open during posted hours each week and is also the site of a number of historical reenactment events each year.